Thursday 19 June 2014

Bunkasai - School Festival

I was literally blown away by bunkasai (school festival). This was my first bunkasai in Japan so I didn't really know what to expect. Months of planning and weeks of preparation late into the night went into making this year's "Revolution" bunkasai a complete success. Classrooms were transformed into themed cafes, game and quiz rooms from Disney to Pokemon and everything in between. Every club was represented with performances and displays. Even the English club performed our own version of Pinnochio, called "Pinoccho", live for the entire school. It was a big comedic hit, I think! ;)

Bunkasai was two days. Friday, June 6th was just for GONAN students and faculty to enjoy. I spent most of my time in the gym watching the talent shows, which is obvious because of my love for music. We have so many talented singers, musicians and dancers here! At the end of the first day we all gathered together to watch more performances, like English Club, Brass Band Club and all the 1st Year Homerooms perform their song. Something I was most impressed with was how every student showed their support for every act. They cheered, applauded and encouraged them. I love the unity and genuine support that Japanese high school students have for each other.

Saturday, June 7th was open to the public. There weren't many talent acts that day as everyone enjoyed walking around the school and visiting the different attractions each classroom had. Also, my friend Jill who is the ALT at Gotemba High School came to visit! I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted because I was primarily filming, but I hope you enjoy these few! I'm already counting down the days until the next bunkasai!



























No comments: